From the blog of the Mayor of Hart
(Dated November 2013)
Two years after North East Hampshire Home-Start had to close a new venture was launched to cover the boroughs of Hart and Rushmoor. On Tuesday the 26th of November I had the privilege to cut a cake signalling the establishment of a scheme which is at present based at Park School in Aldershot.
Home-Start is dedicated to helping parents build better lives for their children by providing one-to-one support from a trained volunteer who will help them cope with the many difficulties and challenges which so often face families with young children. Since its formation as a single enterprise in Leicester forty years ago Home-Start has grown almost exponentially. Now nearly 16,000 family support volunteers help more than 32,000 families every year – giving over one million hours of time.
Home-Start now operates in 22 countries and on five continents across the world. Their service delivers one-to-one support, friendship and practical help to families. Local services make a real difference to families’ lives and these services derive great value from being part of a wider network, with Home-Start UK at the centre.
In the last year, the Home-Start network
• reached 314 local communities
• gave emotional and practical support to 32,477 families
• helped to give 69,384 children a better start in life
• supported 20,557 volunteers who gave their time to make a difference
• recruited and trained 4,661 new volunteers
• supported 850 army families with British Forces Germany and Cyprus
• developed links with Home-Starts in 22 countries around the world
• supported 2,952 children with a disability
• as well as 701 children coming off child protection registers during our support.